QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 15:27:36 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:18 AM Masataka Ohta
<mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
> > 2 way flow means something on your home host or home gateway.
> > It means very little at internet scale... since, in many cases, you ->
> > server and server -> you are not sharing many of the same links /
> > routers / etc.
>
> Subject suggests it's retail ISP to homes, which are unlikely to
> be multihomed.

It probably depends on where you want to do such limiting, right?
"At peering/transit edge" - save your core, dont' carry traffic you
"know" you will throw away anyway.
"At the customer edge" - scaling of state management could be
problematic && you'll carry this 'bad' traffic across your network.

Note: I'm not really casting aspersions on either part of the whole
argument here, just attempting to provide some color to the parts
which seem 'unlikely to be successful'

I think for a bunch of this discussion there are N folks with M goals,
and eventually 'the market will dictate' which final direction we
travel.