akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Feb 12 20:09:46 UTC 2020

On 2/12/20 11:48, Josh Luthman wrote:
> In low power state, usually standby, they're connected to the network
> and listen for requests to download a new title (bought online) or
> updates.  I know on the Xbox One side of things this feature is semi-off
> by default as it turns the HDD off to save power, but it's still in
> standby in the sense that it takes only a few seconds to get to a usable
> state.

They can shut down or sleep, it's user choice.

Xbox has a setting for an "instant on" mode. I also had the option to
check for updates, but when I went to use it yesterday it came up asking
me to download a system update. And then after it installed that it
wanted to download a giant update file for Halo. It's supposed to get
updates on its own if you have both instant on and get updates enabled,
but it didn't for whatever reason.

On PS4 you choose if you want to turn it off or go into rest mode, but I
usually choose off because if the power hiccups in the weeks between
times I get to use it it yells that it wasn't shut down correctly and it
doesn't self-reboot into rest mode. Even when it was in rest mode, when
I went to start Overcooked (the only game my wife will co-op play with
me) it too asked to download an update.

So sure, they can, but it doesn't work reliably and when I have time to
play *ow I'm going to tell it to download now without caring if it's
not-my-problem peak time or not. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that
sentiment. Again, speaking with my end user hat on.