akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Feb 12 14:46:41 UTC 2020

On 2/11/20 6:41 PM, Tom Deligiannis wrote:
> There is a major update that has released today, how's everything
> looking for everyone?

I run a couple distinct very small networks.  Both are transit-only with
no direct peering or local caching and generally sub-gbps.

One set a new 1-min 95% record and did so by nearly 25% over its
previous record.  The other matched its existing record.  The former
thankfully has ample capacity, while the latter thankfully did so before
primetime.

These are definitely going to be harder to manage than the primetime
hump.  It would be nice if things could drop overnight to hopefully
spread things out during the daytime lull some.  I understand that some
people won't pick it up until they get home and turn on devices (which
is often after school hours for these type of game updates), but
spreading things out would be really nice especially for those of us
without local caching.

--
Brandon Martin