10g residential CPE

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 15:55:08 UTC 2020

lør. 26. dec. 2020 16.35 skrev Mikael Abrahamsson via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org
>:

> Perhaps there are some issues at other parts of the network that limits
> their speeds? I'm in Stockholm, Sweden, with plenty of local CDNs located
> just 1-3ms away from me.

That is why. The RTT to the source can not be larger than the minimum
buffer size in the transport path. Otherwise the speed will start
decreasing.

Since a lot of ISP equipment only has tiny buffers you will generally be
unable to get great downloads from sources far away.

The other option is huge buffers which gives you better speed but with
buffer bloat issues.

Regards