Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 14:42:12 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 4:34 AM Robert Raszuk <robert at raszuk.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> Watching this thread with interest got an idea - let me run it by this
> list before taking it any further (ie. to IETF).
>
> How about we learn from this and try to make BGP just a little bit safer ?
>
> *Idea: *
>
> In all stub (non transit) ASNs we modify BGP spec and disable automatic
> iBGP to eBGP advertisement ?

Why do you believe a stub AS was involved or that would have changed this
situation?

The whole point of Noction is for a bad isp to fake more specific routes to
downstream customers.  Noction is sold to ISPs, aka transit AS, afaik

> *Implementation: *
>
> Vendors to allow to define as part of global bgp configuration if
> given ASN is transit or not. The default is to be discussed - no bias.

Oh. A configuration knob. Noction had knobs, the world runs of 5 year old
software with default configs.

> *Benefit: *
>
> Without any issues anyone playing any tools in his network will be able to
> just issue one cli

Thanks for no pretending we configure our networks with yang model apis

and be protected from accidentally hurting others. Yet naturally he will
> still be able to advertise his neworks just as today except by explicit
> policy in any shape and form we would find proper (example:
> "redistribute iBGP to eBGP policy-X").

XR rolls this way today, thanks Cisco. But the “any” keyword exists, so
yolo.