BGP route hijack by AS10990

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sat Aug 1 19:03:25 UTC 2020

Hi,

----- On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:49 AM, Owen DeLong owen at delong.com wrote:

> In fact, there are striking parallels between Asiana 214 and this incident.

Yes. Children of the magenta line. Depending on automation, and no clue what to
do when the Instrument Landing System goes down.

But, the most important parallel is (hopefully) yet to come. One major outcome of
the Asiana investigation was the call for more training, as the crew did not
properly understand how the aircraft worked.

The same can be said here. Noction and/or its operators appear to not understand
how BGP works, and/or what safety measures must be deployed to ensure that the
larger internet will not be hurt by misconfiguration.

I also agree with Job, that Noction has some responsibility here. And as I
understand more and more about it, I must now agree with Mark T that this
was an avoidable incident (although not because of Telia, but because Noction's
decision to not enable NO_EXPORT by default).

Thanks,

Sabri