BGP route hijack by AS10990

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:50:55 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:21 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:

> What I meant by "TOTALLY avoidable" is that "this particular plane
> crash" has happened in the exact same way, for the exact same reasons,
> over and over again.
>
> Aviation learns from mistakes that don't generally recur in the exact
> same way for the exact same reasons.

Aviation is regulated.

I am not normally supporting a heavy hand in regulation, but i think it is
fair to say Noction and similar BGP optimizers are unsafe at any speed and
the FTC or similar should ban them in the USA. They harm consumers and are
a risk to national security / critical infrastructure

Noction and similar could have set basic defaults (no-export, only create
/25 bogus routes to limit scope), but they have been clear that their greed
to suck up traffic does not benefit from these defaults and they wont do
it.

Tar and feather them. FTC, do your job.

FTC has done good work before
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/01/ftc-charges-d-link-put-consumers-privacy-risk-due-inadequate