Are underground utility markers essential workers?

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Tue Apr 21 22:35:08 UTC 2020

It really goes back to what I have maintained in that you can't really
say who is essential or not because such declarations never extend the
full width and breadth of the supply and distribution chain. For
example, someone manufacturing cardboard boxes might not be thought of
as essential but when these cardboard boxes are used to package food
items so they can be sent around the country, does that mean that they
now are? What if they're being used to package medical supplies?
Trying to judge "essential" and "non-essential" is always going to be
problematic and you're always going to get it wrong.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 02:57:15PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Utility markers don't get the recognition they deserve.  If they aren't
> essential workers, they should be.... and get hazard pay.
>
> They help protect everyone's fiber and cables and pipes that go boom.

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org
Network Dude