VDSL

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Oct 17 17:22:03 UTC 2019

On 10/16/19 5:12 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:
> On 10/16/19 2:42 PM, Jeff Shultz wrote:
>> But I'm confused a bit by the below - G.Fast is a twisted pair
>> standard, last I saw - why would a cable (presumably coax) company be
>> offering it?  Are they just taking over the PTT's inside wiring?
>
> G.fast has definitions for both twisted pair and coax PHYs.  That gets
> everybody interested.
>
> The biggest issue for the CATV operators is that the coax PHY
> monopolizes the cable meaning you can't use it for conventional
> channelized RF type services, so if the subscriber wants cable TV in
> addition to IP service, you either have to have a side-by-side IPTV
> deployment or revert to running DOCSIS over channelized RF next to
> your linear TV system.  I've seen micro fiber-fed DOCSIS nodes for
> this purpose.  DOCSIS 3.1 with a good RF budget and lots of channel
> space can get a few gigs of bandwidth which is quite usable for a
> midsize MDU. Chuck one of those down in the telco room, and you're
> good to feed potentially a couple hundred units using traditional
> DOCSIS+linear TV which is what people expect from a CATV operator.
> Anyone who just wants IP service and ends up wanting tons of bandwidth
> can get moved over to packet-fed G.fast as needed.

As somebody who stopped using satellite/cable about a year ago, I can't
see any reason why you'd want to get a cable package when you can get an
over the top package for about $60 less. Yes, hulu and youtube's UI's
suck, but that's a curable problem.

I do this on a 25Mb dsl link and it works just fine. Cable tv qua cable
tv is doomed.

Mike