Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Oct 15 00:58:16 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 8:26 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> So when we were working on this 20 years ago at Cisco, there was a
> tremendous amount of effort to deal with the issue of e911 and generally
> battery backup. I'm really surprised to hear that though we went through
> a lot of effort to deal with the CPE, that the cable plant was the
> actual problem. The cable companies should, imo, be held to the same
> standard as the telcos. Maybe even moreso these days since IP has taken
> over everything. The need for reliable e911 hasn't gone away just
> because the bits have turned into IP bit these days.

They get around it, at least in part, by selling it as a "VoIP" service
rather than "phone service".

AT&T does the same with U-Verse voice.  You can still buy POTS from
AT&T, but it's a separate product with a completely different pricing
structure from the U-Verse voice product.

Voice over HFC networks is sometimes sold as a POTS-like service.  I've
only heard of this happening in places where the LEC and cable provider
happen to end up being one-in-the-same.  In those cases, yeah uptime is
a big deal.

I think what happens is that the standards get written and equipment
designed with the assumption that everybody will be deploying all sorts
of SLA'd, guaranteed services, then 99% of deployments end up being
exclusively best-effort because it's so much easier and cheaper to deploy.

GPON seems to be an interesting case of this since it's commonly
deployed by telcos rather than cable MSOs, and, in greenfield
applications, is often deployed exclusive to copper plant at all.  It's
pretty common to find GPON ONTs with inbuild UPS monitoring and
communications as well as ATAs designed to deliver POTS-like service,
but then a lot of SPs who are NOT the LEC of record just use that
infrastructure to deliver VoIP-like services and push the UPS
responsibility off onto the customer.
--
Brandon Martin