California public safety power shutdowns

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri Oct 11 00:51:01 UTC 2019

Sean,

A diesel generator sparking a fire is extremely unlikely. A diesel generator by code must have a clear, nonflammable, area around it, and a spark arrestor on the exhaust to protect against burning particles in the exhaust. Diesel generators are not even a listed cause according to the National Wildfire Coordinating Group:

https://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/files/publications/pms412.pdf

Let’s not go making up fantastical monsters. There are plenty of real monsters to go around :)

 -mel