Hulu thinks all my IP addresses are "business class", how to reach them?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Nov 19 18:38:10 UTC 2019

Doug McIntyre wrote on 11/19/2019 12:17 PM:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:55:01AM -0600, Blake Hudson wrote:
>> Doug, out of curiosity, what does Hulu do once they have classified your
>> IP ranges as "business class"? Charge customers a different rate? Offer
>> different content? Refuse service?
> They won't let any of my customers connect, blocking them with a
> specific error number to reference by their support. When they do, Hulu
> is either telling them that they are using a VPN (when we don't offer
> any services like that), and then to whitelist them, they have to have
> a "residential" IP address and not the "business" IP address we are
> giving them, and won't go any further. Or they just say they can't
> connect from the "business" IP addresses.
>
> If I knew why they considered my IP addresses "business" IP addresses,
> I could possibly change something? But this seems to be an arbitrary
> decision they changed about a week and a half ago for all my netblocks.

Thanks Doug. I'm interested in following your thread because we have
some IP ranges we intentionally wanted to be classified as static or
non-residential by other entities so that our customers on these ranges
could operate their own email servers. This was done through a
combination of reverse DNS including the word "static" (or similar) and
the SpamHaus PBL listings (or similar). At the same time, we would not
want Hulu to stop providing services to these customers due to this
classification. Ultimately, I guess it's up to Hulu who they want to
serve as a customer of theirs, but as a network operator providing
access to to the internet (including access to services like Hulu) I'm
sure we would be negatively impacted by such a decision on the part of
Hulu causing to devalue the utility our services.