CloudFlare issues?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 15:13:18 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM Filip Hruska <fhr at fhrnet.eu> wrote:

> Verizon is the one who should've noticed something was amiss and dropped
> their customer's BGP session.
> They also should have had filters and prefix count limits in place,
> which would have prevented this whole disaster.

oddly VZ used to be quite good about filtering customer seesions :(
there ARE cases where: "customer says they may announce X" and that
doesn't happen along a path expected :( For instance they end up
announcing a path through their other transit to a prefix in the
permitted list on the VZ side :(  it doesn't seem plausible that that
is what was happening here though, I don't expect the duquesne folk to
have customer paths to (for instance) savi moebel in germany...

there are some pretty fun as-paths in the set of ~25k prefixes leaked
(that routeviews saw).