DOs and DONTs for small ISP

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Jun 3 13:48:33 UTC 2019

I’m constantly amazed at the number of even medium-sized ISPs that have no network monitoring. An NMS should go in as the first software component — before billing starts and the provider is on the hook to deliver.

The second lacking component is a ticket system, which is silly because turnkey cloud services are not expensive, and open source solutions abound for budget-limited operators.

The third component failure is security, including weak and default (!) passwords, failure to use real certificates, and the complete lack of 2FA or MFA. Security also requires data surveillance, in the form of net flow analysis.

The “two guys and a router” business model must be upgraded with more planning and a cohesive operating plan.

 -mel