44/8

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Fri Jul 19 03:23:33 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 3:16 AM Adam Korab <ak at mid.net> wrote:

> On 07/18/2019 at 23:08, Job Snijders wrote:
> > A potential upside is that hamnet operators maybe have access to some RPKI
> > services now!
>
> OK, I'll bite....how do you mean?

Ah, let me clarify, I didn't mean this as a tongue-in-cheek remark.

Previously no RIR "managed" the space in the conventional sense of the
word. In the case of 44.0.0.0/8, the consequences seemed to be that
none of the RIRs were in a position to provide RPKI services (ROAs)
for 44.0.0.0/8 or any more specific block within that /8.

I saw that the IANA registry was updated
https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtml
it now shows "Administered by ARIN". My interpretation is that now a
pathway exists towards ARIN facilitating the creation of RPKI ROAs
which cover (parts of) 44.0.0.0/8.

In order to get RPKI services in context of ARIN, it appears a RSA or
LRSA needs to exist. I suspect a LRSA-style agreement was
instantiated, opening the door for RPKI services.

Kind regards,

Job