SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan giri at dombox.org
Sat Jan 12 01:50:21 UTC 2019

> In addition, it bypasses all the security folks have built around the
> idea of blocking port 25 traffic from sources which should not be
> operating as mail servers. Let's not make the network less secure in
> the name of making it more so.

I already addressed this issue in the "security considerations" section.

"Port 26 will be a secure alternative for Port 25. So Internet Service
Providers are adviced to take precautions to prevent email spam abuse. They
are advised to block port 26, if necessary."

I'm not a fan over overloading semantic information in part of a
> protocol where it doesn't belong, That's dug us in to a lot of deep
> holes over the years. If you want to do this, seek a new DNS record
> type or do like everybody else and create a TXT record to inform
> internet peers of the availability of your new semantics for port 25.

Yes, This suggestion came up on our discussions.

--
Best Regards,

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan
Dombox, Inc.