Last Mile Design

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 14 20:54:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019, Colton Conor wrote:

> Just wondering, but what IP-capable MPLS switches are people using to
> deploy AE to residential internet connections? Most 48 port AE switches
> from repetuable vendors are crazy expensive, and I can't see how the ROI
> would ever work compared to GPON.

Why do you need MPLS? Most people just use regular L2 switches with some
SAVI functionality (DHCP inspection, RA guard tec). When I did this, we
happened to have an L3 switch there so I made each customer IPv6 (protocol
based vlan) broadcast domain unique for each customer, and the L3 switch
had built in DHCPv6-PD server. So just route a /51 to it, and it was a
self contained IPv6 upstream router. For IPv4 we had a shared vlan and I
didn't change that design at all.

For the FTTH deployment I am currently connected to, other end of my fiber
is a big L2 chassi switch (~600 ports) with 10GE uplink to somewhere, and
it does SAVI and then there is some BNG somewhere at the other end of this
10GE uplink.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se