Last Mile Design

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Feb 9 20:23:29 UTC 2019

On 2/9/19 2:51 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:

> On 2/9/19 12:12 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> With early PON designs, upstream bandwidth was horrible. Not
>> particularly useful if you're doing things like remote backup, or
>> video chatting, or running a server (business grade service). GPON
>> does better on upstream bandwidth, but it's still asymmetric.
>
> Intriguing.
>
> I would have not considered my municipal GPON to be asymmetric. Well,
> not as such.  Routinely, when I do speed tests I get better upstream
> speeds than I do downstream speeds.  (More below.)
>
>> If you're marketing to business customers, or home office
>> professionals, of families with multiple users that consume upstream
>> bandwidth, AE gives you a lot of room for upside growth (assuming you
>> provision the right kinds of fiber).
>
> Are you referring to the dedicated bandwidth between the CPU and the
> AE equipment?  Or the fact that bandwidth feeding the GPON and all
> subscribers is aggregate?

I'm thinking about the backside.  Generally there's a lot more
downstream bandwidth to distribute, and not a lot of upstream
bandwidth.  Makes a lot of sense if you're a content provider & expect
your customers to be passive consumers (also, considering that a lot of
that bandwidth might be used for things other than IP packets).

> I have attributed the asymmetry in my speed tests to be that most
> people on my GPON are predominantly downloading, thus consuming
> aggregate download bandwidth.  Conversely, few are uploading more than
> requests, thus using relatively little of the aggregate upload bandwidth.

Probably the case.  But if you're in an area with a lot of home office
users, or gamers, or business grade customers running servers, your
experience might be different.

> Do I see asymmetry?  Yes.  Is it truly asymmetric?  I don't think so.
> I think is just based on consumption of aggregate bandwidth.
>
> I have no idea if this is normal for GPON or not.  Hence one of the
> reasons that I'm finding this thread enlightening.

The SPECS are asymmetric, as is the technology when you take into
account allocation of bandwidth between downstream video & IP services.

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra