Initial ARIN IPv4 membership and resource request

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 6 23:40:28 UTC 2019

ARIN won’t issue a /22 of IPv6. You can get a /20 or a /24 if you meet the qualifications, but a /22 isn’t on a nibble boundary and ARIN stopped issuing non-nibble-aligned blocks several years ago.

Sure, if you get a /20, you can announce it as /22s.

To put the qualifications in perspective, you’d have to be pretty massive to get to the /20 stage.

I”ve done address work for three relatively large organizations that qualified for /24s (one each). While I can easily imagine some organizations (mostly very large oligopolous eye-ball ISPs) needing larger than /20 even, especially if they respected their customers with /48s as they should, there are very few networks that large.

Owen