power to the internet

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Dec 26 19:20:01 UTC 2019

On 12/26/19 11:00 AM, Ben Cannon wrote:
>> How much generating capacity can you get out of a typical hybrid?
>
> You’re joking right?  A lot… Enough to run an entire neighborhood…
> The Prius makes 50,000watts alone.
>
> With the right circuitry, there is no need for power plants in the
> United States (save that they’re more efficient than internal
> combustion gas engines in the 76hp range) - existing hybrid car
> stock’s generating capacity exceeds the entire US supply.  And it’s
> entirely untapped.
>
> Nissan just tested it for giggles, and found the Leaf (which has NO
> engine at all) can power a house for an entire week.  The batteries
> alone are a game changer, utterly transforming grids.

I just looked up Telsa's battery packs and they seem to be between
60-100kwh. Our daily use is about 30kwh in the fall, so it's only 2-3
days. Admittedly we can turn off the hot tub, water heater, etc to
stretch it out. And of course, that means that you can't drive it... The
one thing that would be for everybody's good is using them during peak
hours. If you work normal hours, then that only gets part of the peak
load, unfortunately.

But of course this has nothing to do with the network power problem. I
assume they won't be parking a Tesla next to a CMTS headend.

Mike