Mx204 alternative

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Fri Aug 9 09:09:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, at 08:13, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 09:09, Radu-Adrian Feurdean
> <nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, at 16:51, Tom Hill wrote:
> > > No-one has mentioned it yet, so for completeness big C have the ASR 9901
> >
> > Weren't we talking about "decently priced" ?
>
> ASR9901 and MX204 being wildly differently priced is market
> inefficiency. It's difficult for me to see, how CSCO could justify the
> premium for any volume order. Either sell at market or lose sale.

The 2 boxes not having exactly the same port count and features(9901 can do - or is suppose to be able to do - subscriber stuff - IPoE,PTA,LAC), this explains the difference. Add the fact that Cisco has customers that buy "Cisco and nothing else".

And not everybody buys "enough" in order to get acceptable volume discounts.

> Also it will never run eXR. I have no information, but I think it's
> reasonable to suspect the OS not being sold may receive decreasing
> amount of NRE. I wouldn't certainly spend my time writing code for
> product I'm not selling.

Agreed.