BGP Hijack/Sickness with AS4637

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Thu May 31 14:40:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:31:26AM -0400, Alain Hebert wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas and the hint.  Good read.
>
> Will do.

Upon further inspection, it seems more likely that the bgp optimiser is
in ColoAU's network. Given the scale of AS 4637, if it were deployed
inside Telstra I'd expect more problem reports. AS 4637 may actually
just be an innocent bystander.

It is interesting to note that the /23 only appears on their Sydney
based routers on https://lg.coloau.com.au/

Is ColoAU's refusal to cooperate a matter of misunderstanding? Perhaps
you should just straight up ask whether they use any type of "network
optimisation" appliance.

> PS: Still curious how, beside some RIB/FIB failure, how our AS ended
> up there.

I don't know why, but often fabricating random AS_PATH stuff seems to be
part of it.

Kind regards,

Job