Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 29 14:38:46 UTC 2018

On 29/May/18 16:16, John R. Levine wrote:

> My goodness, aren't we condescending.  Since we're talking about Kenya
> here, a few milliseconds of research reminds us that it's a
> significant agricultural exporter.  Agricultural development there is
> generally about better use of existing land.
>
> You might also want to learn about M-Pesa, the mobile phone payment
> system that everybody uses.  Stores all have a sign with their M-Pesa
> number so you can pay them, and there are kiosks all over Nairobi that
> will exchange M-Pesa credit and cash.  The 1GB data bundles I
> mentioned are large ones. You can get 7MB for a day or 5MB for a week
> for 5c, which is plenty to check your messages or look up farm prices.
>
> People in Africa may be poorer than we are, but they are just as smart
> as we are, and they are just as able and interested in technology when
> it is useful to them.

It's pretty difficult to articulate this sort of thing unless someone
has actually traveled to and experienced a destination, and its peoples,
on their own.

Having had the opportunity to travel the world over the past 2 or more
decades, I've been eagerly disillusioned by what I thought a lot of
countries were either capable of, or not capable of. What I learned...
you can't armchair reality.

The Internet in Indonesia is the very same Internet in Eritrea, as it is
in Canada. We can't quite split that...

Mark.