Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Mar 13 15:09:50 UTC 2018

I would insist that this customer get with the RIR and resolve ownership of the account and prove that they did so.  I would leave the burden on the RIR to figure out who is the rightful owner and not make any changes until that is done.

Do you have a record of what the RIR account contact was when you began announcing the block?  The fact that the requester has the RIR account and the email of the account contact makes me wonder if your customer did not renew with the RIR or something else that caused them to lose ownership of the net block.  I could see this happen during an acquisition or change of ownership of a company or entity.  I would give the customer a short period of time to open a dispute with the RIR and then hold the changes until the RIR makes a determination.  I think that protects you from a legal perspective more than deciding on your own.  Of course, keep a good record of all communications on this subject especially with the RIR, this could get ugly.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL