improving signal to noise ratio from centralized network syslogs

Casey Russell crussell at kanren.net
Fri Jan 26 17:17:31 UTC 2018

     +1 for Graylog, you can pour ALL your syslog data into it, and then
configure what are called streams.  Streams are a way to whittle down the
incoming log flows and see something LESS than everything.  You can create
a stream that only shows these 6 devices, or one that only shows log info
from the RPD daemon on your Juniper routers.

     In your case, you could use the stream rules to create a stream that
filters out the background noise with regex expressions.  You're not losing
anything, you still have the full log data captured, and you can see it in
the portal, but if you click on one of your streams, you see filtered data
based, on your rulesets.  We've been using it for about 2 years now I
think.

     It's open source, easy to set up, supports LDAP, multiple input types
(beyond just udp syslog), and the community is pretty solid.

Sincerely,
Casey Russell
Network Engineer
[image: KanREN] <http://www.kanren.net>