Announcing Peering-LAN prefixes to customers

Steven Bakker Steven.Bakker at ams-ix.net
Fri Dec 21 10:45:57 UTC 2018

Hi Dominic,

On Thu, 2018-12-20 at 19:15 +0100, Dominic Schallert wrote:
> Dear Job, Michael, Ross,
> thank you very much for sharing your opinion, the detailed info and
> references. That’s pretty much what I excpected.
> Just wondered because I couldn’t find any IXP Conection Agreement
> stating this „issue“ explicitly yet.
>
> Maybe MANRS IXP actions has some recommendations regarding this,
> checking that now.

We don't have it in our connection agreement as such, but it is in
section 3.2 of our (admittedly aged) Configuration Guide:

https://ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/config-guide#3.2

   3.2. Peering LAN Prefix

   The IPv4 prefix for the AMS-IX peering LAN (80.249.208.0/21) is part
   of AS1200, and is not supposed to be globally routable. This means
   the following:

     1.  Do not configure "network 80.249.208.0/21" in your router's
         BGP configuration (seriously, we have seen this happen!).
     2.  Do not redistribute the route, a supernet, or a more specific
         outside of your AS. We (AS1200) announce it with a no-export
         attribute, please honour it.

   In short, you can take the view that the Peering LAN is a link-local
   address range and you may decide to not even redistribute it
   internally (but in that case you may want to set a static route for
   management access so you can troubleshoot peering, etc.).

AFAIK, pretty much all IXP operators take this view.

Cheers,
Steven