Is WHOIS going to go away?

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Fri Apr 20 21:04:04 UTC 2018

> "Wrong on several counts.  You can publicly access the records of who
owns every radio station, television station, and newspaper in the US and a
lot of other countries. "

You can't access their *sources* without a warrant.

You seem to be conflating private individuals with corporations.

> "No one ever had the liberty of publishing information to the public
without accountability."

That's provably false.  I can type whatever I want, hit print, and scatter
it around town unobserved at 3 AM.

> "The whole protecting you from the government point is nothing but a
straw man."

That's not what I'm advocating.  If whois disappeared entirely tomorrow, it
wouldn't protect me from government.  But it *would* protect me from crazy
nutjobs.

> "Do you really believe that ICANN will stand up to the world governments
if they ask for the data?"

Obviously not.  But there's nothing I can do about it except tell them to
come back with a warrant.

There *is* something I can do to help limit the ability of crazy nutjobs to
find out my information so they can visit my home and harass my family.

Anyways, I think this has rambled on long enough.

-A