Hurricane Maria: Summary of communication status - and lack of

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Sep 25 15:57:31 UTC 2017

As of this morning, the ILEC Claro is reporting

8 central offices have voice, data and long distance service operating,
mostly in metro areas.  This does not include outside plant or local loops
serving customers.

Central offices serving 55 of 78 municipalities have local voice service,
no inter-office or long-distance service.  Again, not including the local
loop to a customer.

27% of cell sites in service, mostly in the north and east parts of the
island, operating.  I'm not sure if this is 27% of all cell sites on the
island, or 27% of cell sites only in the north and east.

Other providers say they are working to restore service, but are not
releasing specific data about their network status (AT&T, Open Mobile,
Sprint, T-Mobile). Cable provider, LibertyPR, hasn't said anything to local
reporters that I could find in any of the PR newspaper websites; and
appears to be completely out of service.

There are several competitive providers and small providers I don't have
information about in PR.  I just don't know the market.  If anyone has
status about any small providers operating, let me know their status.