Moving fibre trunks: interruptions?

Jay Hanke jayhanke at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:44:23 UTC 2017

I'd expect at least a couple of hours of outage while the cable is reconnected.

When doing the move on the live cable (assuming 1 cable). There will
be a splicing crew at each end of the move. They will then break a
tube or ribbon at a time and splice into the new cable.

Splicing unused portions of the cable and then moving patches is also
done. In my experience, it's much more common to resplice on the
existing strands.

A large cable will take quite a while to resplice, likely more than
just overnight depending on the size of the cable.

Jay