Hurricane Maria: Summary of communication status - and lack of

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Oct 10 04:47:21 UTC 2017

The Puerto Rico government has posted threee maps of cellular coverage and
GPS coordinates of Cells on Wheels (COWs) in service.

http://www.status.pr/Maps/

It still looks grim in Puerto Ricofrom a telecommunications perspective.
Its will be an interesting after-action study.  Other than "it was a
hurricane," I haven't gotten a good idea why so much of the
telecommunications network failed and backups still aren't working more
than 2 weeks later.

Claro, the ILEC but second in terms of mobile phone marketshare behind
AT&T, has started to more fully explain what "restored" means, and that
it doesn't mean everything as before the hurricane.  It is minimum
telecommunications.  Claro has been more willing to talk about the
situation in Puerto Rico, which is why I've referencing Claro a lot more
than other carriers.

This is a google translate of an interview from spanish.

"It is important to clarify that the radio bases put into service to date,
offer the same voice and data services as before the impact of the
Hurricane. In other words, if the base radio is 4GLTE, that is the service
it will offer. The other two components that influence the customer
experience are the voice and data plan and the equipment of each user."

"The network is also open to third-party customers as part of our
commitment to connect everyone in the country. In fact, over a quarter of
a million customers from other providers have connected daily to the Claro
network. When these customers connect to our network they only have voice
service as stipulated in the roaming agreement with the other providers.
As for the fixed network, this morning the service was restored in the
central offices (OC) of Fajardo and Humacao, whose optical fibers had been
affected by the destruction of Hurricane Maria. In this way already have
fixed voice, internet and long distance services in these municipalities:
Ceiba, Fajardo, Luquillo, Humacao, Naguabo and Yabucoa. Already a total of
57 municipalities have all 3 services. It is possible that some customers
of Claro served by these OCs do not have internet. This is possible as
there could be cables and posts broken and / or VRADs without AEE
service."

https://www.metro.pr/pr/noticias/2017/10/06/senal-claro-esta-ya-accesible-34-municipios.html