Purchased IPv4 Woes

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Sun Mar 12 18:24:37 UTC 2017

On 3/12/2017 2:00 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> Den 12/03/2017 kl. 18.49 skrev Rob McEwen:
>> This motivation goes a LONG way towards countering the profit motives
>> that hosters/ISPs/Datacenters/ESPs have in selling services to
>> spammers - there is MUCH money to be made doing so. But the longer
>> term repercussions of damaged IP reputation makes that a *bad*
>> long-term investment (even if the short-term gains are lucrative).
>
> Sorry but this is not true. The address space does not lose that much in
> value and in fact most address space that has been used for end users is
> already tainted in the same way (due to botnets etc).

First, I'm on the front lines of this particular fight - and my
conversations I have with mail senders (of all various types) gives me
constant 1st-hand confirmation of these facts you deny.

But don't take my word for it - consider the following article written
by Brian Krebs:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/08/like-cutting-off-a-limb-to-save-the-body/

If what you said is true, then Hostwinds wouldn't have ever seen a need
to reform - and they wouldn't have ever reformed. And many of the
hosters who had more foresight and never had to learn this less the hard
way - would have likewise followed hostwinds footsteps (except without
the the reform part)

Also, if any good hosting company just let their guard down and started
allowing just any spammer to purchase services - their IP space
reputation would nosedive across-the-board to the lowest of depths...
that occasional random botnets on a residential dynamic IPs - could
never get to.

--
Rob McEwen