Temperature monitoring

Harlan Stenn stenn at nwtime.org
Fri Jul 14 03:16:31 UTC 2017

On 7/13/17 7:33 PM, Dovid Bender wrote:
> All,
>
> We had an issue with a DC where temps were elevated. The one bit of
> hardware that wasn't watched much was the one that sent out the initial
> alert. Looking for recommendations on hardware that I can mount/hang in
> each cabinet that is easy to set up and will alert us if temps go beyond a
> certain point.
>
> TIA.
>
> Dovid

Are you running ntpd on your boxes?  See what happens when you plot its
drift against other temperature sensors, the closer to the clock chip
the better.

If you do this on enough boxes, you should have an easy time seeing what
happens on boxes where you have an easier time watching ntpd's drift
value than you have watching a nearby dedicated temperature sensor.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org>