Passive Optical Network (PON)

Carlos Alcantar carlos at race.com
Sun Jan 22 19:38:57 UTC 2017

I think it's really depends on your use case.  If you know your TOR switches are doing 1-2 gigs at all times PON would be quite expensive to keep up with this type of usage.  If your talking distribution/access out to cameras ect it would work.  We run gpon across our entire access network 99% of the time it's fine once in awhile you'll get that one user that is killing the pon port and will move them to an active ethernet port.  Now when NG-PON2 starts to hit the market, now you're talking about something that could be used in the data center with it's capabilities to do 4X 10G PON bonding.  Note this is not going to be cheap but doable.

Carlos Alcantar

Race Communications / Race Team Member

1325 Howard Ave. #604, Burlingame, CA. 94010