Apple Caching Server question

Theodore Baschak theodore at ciscodude.net
Mon Jan 16 23:47:44 UTC 2017

> On Jan 16, 2017, at 5:20 PM, Pete Mundy <pete at fiberphone.co.nz> wrote:
>

> Those dual Mac Mini 1U rack-mount cases are great! Two of the quad-core 'server' versions of the Minis gave quite a bit of punch for only 1RU @ 300mm deep.
>
> I have a couple of these types of builds deployed for VoIP services in different DCs, both with auto failover from one Mini to the other. But in the 6 years they've been operation we've never had any failure requiring use of the failover machines :)
>
> Re the Apple Caching Server - I don't believe that will work at the ISP level. My understanding is that the clients requesting their updates are redirected (by Apple's own servers) to the caching server only if the caching server and the requesting client both appear (from Apple's perspective) to originate from behind the same (NAT'd) public IP address.
>
> Pete

I haven't ever tried to do multiple public IPs (I only enable caching server once inside my home network as a test), but it looks like from the settings window that it is possible to have more than one public IP using your cache.
http://imgur.com/eBT7IyX

When the "serve clients with public addresses: on other networks" configuration is enabled, "client configuration" button gives generated DNS records which were also mentioned elsewhere in this thread (_aaplcache._tcp	259200.<dnssearchname> TXT record per network)

Theodore Baschak - AS395089 - Hextet Systems
https://ciscodude.net/ - https://hextet.systems/
http://mbix.ca/