St. Louis IX Launch

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Jan 16 01:26:36 UTC 2017

It is a partnership and I may not be the most qualified to speak on the terms of the partnership. However, the non-commercial side is not-for-profit, but the commercial side is fully commercial.

While building out our IX brand, of those that have been able to have a rational discussion about their anti-commercial IX position, almost all of them (or maybe even all of them) weren't really anti-commercial. They were just anti-800-lb-gorilla. They didn't hate the independent building out IXes in markets that maybe never had a functional IX, but surely didn't have one now. They hated Equinix, Coresite, etc. They just wanted someone that wasn't going to be a jerk to them.

We don't have any aspirations to get to Equinix size. We know we're going to small time places and that we'll only ever have small time IXes in the big picture. The building we started at in Indy only advertises something like 20 or 30 networks in the building. Now we've grown to other buildings and they aren't going to list every Tom, Dick and Harry, but it's not a 300 network market. We'll leave that to AMS-IX, DE-CIX, Megaport, etc.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange