BGP Route Reflector - Route Server, Router, etc

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:59:21 UTC 2017

On 12 January 2017 at 20:32, Justin Krejci <JKrejci at usinternet.com> wrote:
> . I have not found many resources discussing using a non-router box as a route reflector (ie a device not necessarily in the forwarding path of the through traffic). I am thinking things like OpenBGPd and BIRD could make a good route reflector though they are most often discussed in the context of IXPs (ie eBGP sessions).

The CSR1000v (IOS-XE),IOS-XRv and vMX are production ready. People are
deploying these in production and its increasing in popularity.

Mark Tinka gave a good preso at a recent Nanog:
https://www.nanog.org/sites/default/files/2_Tinka_21st_Century_iBGP_Route_Reflection.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEjOj2fyp8&list=PLO8DR5ZGla8hcpeEDSBNPE5OrZf70iXZg&index=21

Cheers,
James.