Bandwidth Savings

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Jan 12 13:18:33 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:08:45PM -0500, Keenan Singh wrote:
> We are currently looking at any way we can save on
> Bandwidth or to be more Efficient with the Bandwidth we currently have.

Measure what you're doing in as much detail as you can.  Slice-and-dice
it by source, destination, time-of-day, protocol, day-of-week, etc.
and plot the results.  In most cases, the problems will make themselves
leap off the page.  (We could all probably predict what they are right
now, but real live measurements are still a good idea.)  Once you've
identified the problems, you'll be much closer to enumerating possible
solutions (and you can avoid wasting time on the issues that aren't
worth addressing).

---rsk