Soliciting your opinions on Internet routing: A survey on BGP convergence

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jan 10 20:32:33 UTC 2017

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 3:14 PM, Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue 2017-Jan-10 20:58:02 +0100, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:51:04AM +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
>>> If a transit link goes, for example because we had to reboot a router,
>>> traffic is supposed to reroute to the remaining transit links.
>>> Internally our network handles this fairly fast for egress traffic.
>>>
>>> However the problem is the ingress traffic - it can be 5 to 15 minutes
>>> before everything has settled down. This is the time before everyone
>>> else on the internet has processed that they will have to switch to
>>> your alternate transit.
>>>
>>> The only solution I know of is to have redundant links to all transits.
>>
>> Alternatively, if you reboot a router, perhaps you could first shutdown
>> the eBGP sessions, then wait 5 to 10 minutes for the traffic to drain
>> away (should be visible in your NMS stats), and then proceed with the
>> maintenance?
>>
>> Of course this only works for planned reboots, not suprise reboots.
>
> ...or link failures.

One other comment:

there has been a long history of poorly behaving BGP stacks that would
take quite some time to hunt through the paths.  While this can still
occur with people with nearing ancient software and hardware still in-use,
many of the modern software/hardware options enable things like BGP-PIC
(in your survey) by default.

Many of these options you document as best practices like path mtu discovery
are well known fixes for networks, as well as using jumbo mtu internally to
obtain 9k+ mss for high performance TCP.  Vendors have not always chosen to
enable the TCP options by default like the protocols have, eg: BGP-PIC and
like Jakob’s response, tout other solutions vs fixing the TCP stack first.

Many of these performances were documented in 2002 and are considered best
practices by many networks, but due to their obscure knobs may not be
widely deployed as a result, or seen as risky to configure.  (We had a
vendor panic when we discovered a bug in their TCP-SACK code, they were
almost frozen in not fixing the code because touching TCP felt dangerous
and there was an inadequate testing culture around something seen as ‘stable’).

here’s the presentation from IETF 53, I don’t see it in the proceedings handily:

http://morse.colorado.edu/~epperson/courses/routing-protocols/handouts/bgp_scalability_IETF.ppt

- Jared