Soliciting your opinions on Internet routing: A survey on BGP convergence

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Jan 10 19:58:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:51:04AM +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> If a transit link goes, for example because we had to reboot a router,
> traffic is supposed to reroute to the remaining transit links.
> Internally our network handles this fairly fast for egress traffic.
>
> However the problem is the ingress traffic - it can be 5 to 15 minutes
> before everything has settled down. This is the time before everyone
> else on the internet has processed that they will have to switch to
> your alternate transit.
>
> The only solution I know of is to have redundant links to all transits.

Alternatively, if you reboot a router, perhaps you could first shutdown
the eBGP sessions, then wait 5 to 10 minutes for the traffic to drain
away (should be visible in your NMS stats), and then proceed with the
maintenance?

Of course this only works for planned reboots, not suprise reboots.

Kind regards,

Job