SoCal FIOS outage(?) / static IP readdressing

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Fri Jan 6 20:45:18 UTC 2017

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:55:56 -0800 Owen wrote:
OD> > On Jan 6, 2017, at 08:21 , Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
OD> > At a past address I had Comcast Business (cable modem) service at
OD> > a residential address, and then later downgraded it to Comcast
OD> > Residential service.
OD> > [...]
OD> > The differences I could see:
OD> >  - Cable Modem
OD> >    - Residential: could rent a consumer grade or BYO (I did, a good one)
OD> >    - Business: Comcast supplied and required their better-than-average,
OD> >                modem.  It could be in bridge mode though.
OD> 	- San Jose, I was able to use BYO. Had to escalate several levels and pull several teeth to get
OD> 		bridge mode on the Comcast unit while I had it.

I'm using BYO on business class in Atlanta. I thing that a static IP
requires that you use their modem. I'm happy with DHCP - my assigned IP
hasn't changed in years. And as you say, I can plug in multiple boxes and
each get's its own public IPv4 address.

OD> > Ultimately the reason to buy business class at a residential address
OD> > (and I think the Prosumer description is correct) is generally faster
OD> > repair times.

That's why I have it. Though if you BYOM, you'll likely have trouble
getting service as they'll blame it on your 'unspoorted' device (even
thought it's listed on supported devices page). I had to rent one of their
modems for about 3 months once while they struggled to find something in the
neighborhood with a flaky power supply that caused intermittent outages.

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons