Benefits (and Detriments) of Standardizing Network Equipment in a Global Organization

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:25:32 UTC 2017

Hey Chris,

Size has a lot to do with policy.  For very large organizations,
regional models make sense.  Orwell had his regional divisions[1] and
Level3 has theirs[2].  TW had a domestic version of regions before
things were centralized.

I'd argue for the organizational affect of standardization.  Is
operations centralized?  Deployments should be standardized.  Is
operations distributed?  Deployments should be centralized to those
operational distributions.  Do you have the resources to centralize?
Technology research and acquisitions teams are expensive.  Engineering
teams are expensive.  Operations teams are generally cheaper per unit,
but one of the largest teams and therefore expensive.  The bureaucracy
supports whatever model you're after in a top-down way for the
proverbial 80%.

So many networks grow organically until operations break down and
leadership implements centralized policy.  Centralizing operations and
empowering the Ops team's voice is an effective way to get to a more
standardized environment.  When Ops bucks and won't support clever
(read: retarded) stuff and they have strong leadership to support
them, things have to change.

Rather than standardizing on a vendor, I support standardized
deployments.  Deployment X gets bill of materials Y.  A significant
assumption supporting this model includes well known variables that
distinguish one deployment type from another, defined by centralized
technology research, acquisitions, and engineering teams.

Jason

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nations_of_Nineteen_Eighty-Four#/media/File:1984_fictitious_world_map_v2_quad.svg

[2]http://www.level3.com/en/global-reach/