IoT security

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Feb 7 13:13:03 UTC 2017

" any IoT device must _by default_ emit a UDP packet to an
anycast address reserved for the purpose which identifies the device
model and software build. "

Any semi-competent attacker will simply alter the way the network stack on
the device works to make it _not_ look like an IoT device for the purposes
of this check, rendering it moot.

"If the IoT
device receives the fail message, it must try to report the problem to
its owner and remove its default route so that it can only communicate
on the local lan."

If the vendor isn't thinking about security already, as evidenced by the
current issues with these devices, how are they to be convinced to add code
to make said device do something exceptionally specific?

I believe it's important to remember that network endpoints will never be
sure fully secure. They will never be fully in compliance with $standard .
They will never always follow best practices. This is not to say we should
do nothing (obligatory 'Perfect is the enemy of good' comment) but it's
something to think about when discussing possibilities.