Waste will kill ipv6 too

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 13:36:06 UTC 2017

Den 30/12/2017 kl. 03.30 skrev Scott Weeks:

> --- baldur.norddahl at gmail.com wrote:
> From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com>
>
> Nobody needs to worry...Historically we spent...
>

> Out of context, but yeah that.
>
> scott

Not to worry, I thought about what to do if we run out of space. I will
reserve my last /32 and sell sub allocations from that. Should that run
out, I will reserve my last /64 out of my last /32 and sell /96 sub
allocations from that. Just to be safe, I will also reserve the last /96
out of my last /64, so I can sell /128 from that.

Every single network has enough address space to keep us going forever.
It is not possible to "run out" of IPv6 address space like what happened
to IPv4.

Can we keep using the liberal allocation policy forever? Maybe not. But
then we can simply switch to a more restrictive policy. Someone (or
everyone) has enough space to sub allocate using this more restrictive
policy forever.

Does it make sense to switch to a more restrictive policy NOW? No why
would we? Just so they can switch to the liberal policy sometime in the
future? It is not so we can keep going with a restrictive policy
forever, because that will always be an option, no matter what we do now.

Regards,

Baldur