Implementing 464XLAT at a small WISP

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Dec 28 10:43:43 UTC 2017

I’ve customers with have 1Gbit FTTH link using LEDE with NAT.

Depending on the hardware (I’m talking about Chinese made routers with cost less than 50 USD) they easily reach 9xx Mbits. It may depend on the chip set, as some LEDE implementations take advantage of hardware NAT.

I’ve tested it myself with iperf, simulating a WAN link to traverse the router in a 2 LAN lab environment. The tests have been done using both, native IPv4 and CLAT (so having only IPv6 in the WAN link).

Regular LEDE stable firmware, in most of the devices, don’t support by default hardware NAT, so you can in those cases, reach 500-600 Mbits, again, depending on specific hardware.

So, I don’t think number of users is an issue.

Not sure if that’s responding your question …

Regards,
Jordi