40G and 100G optics options

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 18:03:48 UTC 2017

On Mon Dec 18, 2017 at 06:01:39PM +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> What options are available for 40G QSFP+ and 100G QSFP28 for 10+ km links?

LR4 and weak ER4 (flexoptix were trying to get a 40km part out,
only 25km has emerged so far) then you're into coherent stuff in
a separate box (which per 100G doesn't cost a lot more than the ER4's)

> I need stronger modules that can do more than 10 km without being
> extremely expensive. Or DWDM modules in the 1550 nm band so I can use
> external amplifiers.

We use 1310 amplifiers for now, originally these

http://www.hubersuhner.com/en/solutions/cube-optics/products/active-systems/metro-transport/soa-semiconductor-optical-amplifier-unit-c-250

but there is a fibrestore version too now
https://www.fs.com/products/69350.html

> Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this expected
> to be available in the near future?

Eventually there will be something once they can make
it fit in qsfp package size and power limits.

brandon