Creating a Circuit ID Format

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Mon Aug 21 20:38:02 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 03:26:20PM -0500, Colton Conor wrote:
> We are building a new fiber network, and need help creating a circuit ID
> format to for new fiber circuits. Is there a guide or standard for fiber
> circuit formats? Does the circuit ID change when say a customer upgrades
> for 100Mbps to 1Gbps port?

	I've seen a few different methods for this, the most common includes
some form of the source/dest pop locations for the service delivery.

	an example:

	yy-chcgil-dllstx-xx

	where yy and xx may provide some more detail.  the pop codes might
include more detail about the equipment in use, same for yy/xx that might
encode the underlying service/speeds or numbering in the case of multiple
things involved.

	from the circuit-id you would be able to look up other
details like underlying carriers, service or abstraction layers such
as what routers/DWDM/fiber the service rides upon.

> What do the larger carriers do? Any advice on creating a circuit ID format
> for a brand new fiber network?

	I would stick with some variant of A-Z location data and leave any
service speeds at the phy speed of the device, eg: don't call it 300m if it's
1G ethernet rate-limited.

>  Originally we ran a CLEC using a LECs copper, and our circuit ID was
> historically a telephone number for DSL circuits. The ILEC had a complex
> method for assigning circuit IDs.

	I've seen a few different types over the years from ISDN to T1
to much faster services.  They all have merit, but the key is to be usable
and readble.  Don't use both 0 and O for example, don't make case sensitive,
avoid lookalikes like l and 1.

	I would even consider putting in a check digit if you are creating
your own.

> I am sure anything will work as long as you keep track of it, but any
> advice would be great!

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net