Creating a Circuit ID Format

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 20:26:20 UTC 2017

We are building a new fiber network, and need help creating a circuit ID
format to for new fiber circuits. Is there a guide or standard for fiber
circuit formats? Does the circuit ID change when say a customer upgrades
for 100Mbps to 1Gbps port?

What do the larger carriers do? Any advice on creating a circuit ID format
for a brand new fiber network?

 Originally we ran a CLEC using a LECs copper, and our circuit ID was
historically a telephone number for DSL circuits. The ILEC had a complex
method for assigning circuit IDs.

I am sure anything will work as long as you keep track of it, but any
advice would be great!