ARIN legacy block transfer process

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 30 19:05:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
> On 9/30/16 1:22 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> Note that you can't sell the block as an "owned asset" and have ARIN
>> recognize the change. ARIN does not recognize ownership of IP address
>> blocks, they only recognize registration and authorized agents.
>
> This would seem to be in violation of what the NSF has said about this space.
> I thought ARIN was slapped hard once before about this very thing?

To the best of my knowledge, that's not the case. Every relevant court
case has ended one of two ways:

1. The addresses were revoked after the POC was (correctly) determined
not currently represent the (defunct) registrant.
2. The registrant consented to place the addresses under an ARIN RSA
without a judicial ruling. (e.g. Microsoft/Nortel)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us