Providing transit to unallocated networks

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Sep 28 00:37:40 UTC 2016

I've seen this with increasing frequency in the last 8-12 months, more with
ASNs that were either expired/unallocated. Spammers seem to be snatching
them up and hijacking IPs via bilateral peering to make it harder to
notice.

I've found it very difficult in some cases to get traction from IXes or
transit providers to take action though. It makes sense ; they both have a
financial interest in selling the ports and the pipes.

In two cases this year, it took the threat of name and shame to get action
taken, so it's a useful tool for sure.