Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 27 19:59:20 UTC 2016

> On Sep 27, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Brielle Bruns <bruns at 2mbit.com> wrote:
>
> You start cutting off users or putting them into a walled garden until they fix their machines, and they will start caring.

Wait until the user who claims perfection gets on the phone, etc.

We had a network outage that caused a customer to go down, but they couldn’t sort it as they had two links to our network.

Turns out they didn’t advertise the same routes on both links, and when I explained this to them they got very quiet on the phone.  (It was a conference call with a lot of senior leadership on both sides involved).  I asked if they wanted to correct the error so I could validate that it was fixed and they quickly went away.  The tone before that point of the call was quite different.

Residential customers can be far worse.  I’ve heard of users clicking “I cleaned my stuff” to get out of the portal nearly 200x because they are trained to “Click to accept” everything else.  This in no way shocks me, nor can everyone understand the complex error messages that computers provide.  I myself end up searching for obscure error messages often due to hardware or software failures in $dayjob as well as supporting friends and family around me.

End-users can be a unique problems to work with.

- jared